Anne Frank Essay Topics
When a class is covering the topic of the Holocaust, there is usually the opportunity to cover a great work known as The Diary of Anne Frank. This was a journal that was kept by a young girl who was a victim of the Holocaust. It covers everything from how she felt, the historical events that were transpiring around her, how she was treated, etc. One of the best ways to gage a student’s understanding of the topic and the historical context of the events that happened during the time is to assign an argumentative essay regarding a controversial topic about the historical events. This will force students to think critically about the material that they have learned about, and form an opinion that they must support with facts. Some of the key topics for an essay about Anne Frank include:
- What would you do if you were in Anne Frank’s shoes?
- If you were Anne Frank, what would you write about in your diary, and why?
- How do you feel about the events covered in The Diary of Anne Frank?
- Were the Jews treated morally right? Why or why not?
- Would you have hidden from the Nazis? Why or why not?
- How would you have handled the same situation differently?
- The information must be real, relevant, and valuable.
- You must make an intellectually supported argument not founded on emotion.
- Site real facts about actual cases, not hypothetical situation.
- Pick a side of the argument and stick to it.
- Discredit the other side of the argument with facts, and real information.
- Keep opinions and other unsupportable information out of the essay.
- Be passionate and committed to the side that you chose with unwavering detailed support.
These are just a few ideas for essay topics on Anne Frank, and The Diary Of Anne Frank. If you are assigning an argumentative essay on the topic of Anne Frank and the Holocaust, then you will have to guide the students on how to properly compose an argumentative essay. Below are some of the most important elements to share with the children regarding argumentative essays:
There are other guidelines about writing an argumentative essay; however, these are among the most important, especially when tackling a topic as controversial as Anne Frank and the Holocaust. You will have to guide the students through the understanding that they are basically supporting their opinions with facts, and not simply other opinions about the topic.